Academic Appointments are currently working alongside a Secondary school in Bradford, to appoint a School Nurse.
The role is full time, from January - July 2021
This is a ‘Outstanding’ school, with a strong and effective leadership team in place to ensure that the school achieves excellence. Their aim is to challenge and inspire its students to achieve their full potential. The school is described by staff as an excellent place to work and learn.Purpose
To ensure the well-being of all students and staff. To support the academy's relentless focus on student achievement
and prepare our students to lead successful lives.Duties and Responsibilities
• Organise and implement all aspects of staff training on medical and First Aid.
• Co-ordinate the personnel responsible for First Aid in departments.
• Attend all incidents requiring First Aid in the academy, i.e. students and staff, including communication with parents, arranging
transport to home or hospital where appropriate.
• Keep the academy First Aid provision open and operational during the academy day.
• Order and maintain stocks of First Aid equipment and be responsible for the medical room and the organisation of medical provision
for all residential academy trips.
• Organise health screening and vaccinations for students.
• Liaise with outside agencies associated with all aspects of child health care.
• Maintain accurate records of students with special medical requirements.
• Work with Heads of Year and Heads of Department in the planning and delivery of Health Education.
• Provide targeted Individual Needs support e.g. counselling to students on a regular basis and running 1:1 or group sessions with
students as required.
• Work with Senior Leaders and Designated Safeguarding Leads on all issues pertaining to Safeguarding and Child Protection.
• Work with the Individual Needs Coordinators in assessing the needs of students applying for a place in the academy.
• Participate in interviews with students with medical needs applying for a place in the academy.
• Provide all staff with specific information and practical support in managing students with medical needs.
• Deliver whole staff training on issues relating to the inclusion of students with medical issues (including health and safety training).
• Work with Individual Needs Coordinators and Behaviour / Attendance Co-ordinator(s) for students with acute attendance difficulties
(including potential school-refusers).
• In line with medical ethics, deal with confidential medical issues relating to students and refer students, where appropriate, to
• Participate in the academy coaching process.
• Engage fully in the academy appraisal process to fulfil personal potential and be able to participate effectively in the implementation
of the academy’s goals and improvement plan.
• Attend meetings / training, carry out administrative tasks and duties as specified on the academy calendar.
• Consistently implement all academy policies.
• Contribute to decision-making and consultation procedures.
• Report any safeguarding concerns immediately to a Designated Safeguarding Lead.
• Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Principal.Qualifications
- Nursing degree or equivalent or
- Paediatric specialism
- Training in child protection
- Working with children / young people experiencing or exhibiting social emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Working with students with medical needs including mental and physical disabilities
- Relate to children / young people from diverse ethnic / social backgrounds
- Working knowledge of school practice
- Previous experience in a similar role in school is preferable
- 2x references from similar establishments
- A valid DBS or be willing to obtain one
If this is the job for you then please ‘Apply Now’
Academic Appointments is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. All posts are subject to an enhanced DBS check and references.
Policies, including our ‘Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy’, can be found on our website.
We are the only Yorkshire based Education specialists with a 5* Feefo rating.
Academic Appointments Limited acts as an employment agency and employment business.
Nursing degree or equivalent